Media Advisories for Upcoming Events
Description of the Book
This children’s picture book is the first original illustrated collection of 15 new fairytales that explore the magic behind Maine’s seasons and natural beauty. Many of the stories answer children’s questions that are often asked at Maine’s summer festivals – particularly the Maine Lobster Festival, Maine Blueberry Festival and around destinations that draw tourist interest -- like the splendor of Monhegan Island, Moosehead Lake, and Maine’s lighthouses.
- Child’s eye view of Maine’s beauty and mystery from an author who grew up in Maine
- Gorgeous, full color illustrations
- 15 new fairytales and bedtime stories about Maine with illustrated details on every page.
- Unique stories about Maine’s famous lighthouses, lobster, blueberries, and rocky coast.
- Award winning illustrations highlighted on DeviantArt.com’s best of 2008 and hung in the Maine Lobsterman Art Show in Penobscot Marine museum
Facts about the Author
- Full bio for Matt Watier[word doc | rich text format]
- Born in Union Maine in 198
- Graduated from Medomak Valley High School in Waldorboro, ME in 1997. Was heavily involved in musical theater and set design.
- Graduated from University of the Arts in Philadelphia with a BA in Illustration and Design in 2001.
- Moved to the Greater Washington, DC area from New England
- Published his first Book, A.N.T.S: Another Nice Tasty Sweet
- Art from The Secret Magicks of Maine was part of Deviant Art's Best of 2008 (www.deviantart.com)
- Art from The Secret Magicks of Maine was part of the Lobstah: The Art of Lobstering Art Show in Penobscot Marine museum
What inspired you to write the book?
My childhood in rural Maine was spent listening to the sounds of the pond near our house, playing in the mud, exploring the rocky coast and tide pools, and hiding in the deep woods. Everywhere I roamed I found magical creatures that inspired my imagination. Even as an adult, I return to the state for artistic inspiration and mental rejuvenation. On every visit, I find beauty, magic, and happiness. I felt inspired to capture some of Maine’s beauty and mystery in a children’s book for all to enjoy.
Comments about the Book
“This is probably the nicest self published book I’ve ever seen.” By Annie Kuhn, Briar Patch Book.
Photos of the Author
Headshot of Matt Watier [coming soon]
For Media Inquiries: